IF YOU MAKE AN UMBRELLA USING THIS TUTORIAL I'LL POST IT HERE, SO OTHER PPL CAN SEE IT~
Tutorial by SUUZAN
Story / Characters by Hiro Mashima (真島ヒロ)
Character: Juvia Lockser
1 Pink umbrella
Red Permanent Marker
3 yard of white lace trim
needle and Thread
Cardboard and Scissors
1. Measure the circumference of your umbrella. twist or pull off the top of the umbrella pointer. more sturdy and expensive umbrellas will not let you do this easily. That’s why I suggest getting a cheaper umbrella from a dollar Store, like the “99 Cents Store”
2. Take off the Sheet from the metal wires of umbrella. Once the top is unsecured, it’ll be a lot easier to unhook the metal arms via soft tug. There should be around 6-8 hooks to remove from each metal arms. Be careful not to rip off hook!
3. Take the sheet off umbrella. I made a stencil with thin cardboard and scissors, so that I can trace it quickly and repeatedly. trace design on top of flat hard surface. Remove your stencil and fill in your design with permanent marker. I used a red sharpie. Let the inked design dry.
DO NOT SPRAY PAINT UMBRELLA because the waterproof surface will cause the spray paint to flake. I also think acrylic paints are too rigid and will flake/crumble.
LACE TRIM & THREAD
4. Buy white thread & trim/lace longer than the circumference of your umbrella. You can hand stitch the white lace with white thread. I used a “single stitch” sewing machine. I prefer an off-white color thread so that it blends better.
SEWING MACHINE & COMPLETION
5. Sew free edge of lace in place. Line the lace on top of edge of umbrella sheet. with overlap of half an inch (1.25cm), slowly sew the trim and umbrella sheet together around the circumference. Set the stitching to “loose” or “3-4 mm” so that when you stretch the umbrella sheet over the metal arms the lace won’t snap. Carefully insert metal arms ends into hook while umbrella is in closed position. put top back on. Open Umbrella!
Please also check out:
Cosplay.com : [link]